Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tasty Thursday: Nutty Bavarian Nuts

When I was in high school, I had a small group of friends that did everything together.  We were all in band, we had a lot of the same classes together, we went to church together, etc.  One of our favorite outings was going to the UAH Hockey games. My favorite part of the game was not the intense action on the ice or the elusive puck being hit into the stands or even the fun, crazy atmosphere of the hockey game.  My favorite thing at the hockey game was this:
Oh yeah......Before we even found our seats, I had to find The Nutty Bavarian kiosk and get a cone of those piping hot cinnamon glazed pecans.  They were my favorite even though they offer almonds, cashews, pecans and peanuts.  Earlier in the year, David & I took our kids to a UAH Hockey game and had a blast.  Of course, I had to find me some Nutty Bavarian nuts before we found our seats.  David had never had Nutty Bavarian nuts and I was dying to introduce him to them.  He loved them and I came home determined to find a recipe so I could make my own Nutty Bavarian nuts.  Luckily, I found a recipe that taste pretty darn close to the Nutty Bavarian nuts so I thought I would share it with you.
NUTTY BAVARIAN NUTS
1/3 c butter
2 egg whites, at room temperature
pinch salt
1 c sugar
3 c whole nuts (pecans, almonds, etc.)
4 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Melt butter; place in jelly roll pan.
Beat egg whites with salt until frothy.
Gradually add sugar, beating to stiff peaks.
Fold in cinnamon and nuts.
Pour mixture onto jelly roll pan; toss with butter.
Bake about 40 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes, until nuts are crisp.
Serve warm or at room temperature. 
Store cooled nuts in airtight container up to 2 weeks.


Here is how my cinnamon glazed almonds looked after I baked a batch of them at home.  
I also wanted to try them in a recipe so I put some of them in a food processor and chopped them up into small pieces and added them to my oatmeal cookie recipe.  Wow, they were incredible so if you make your own cinnamon glazed nuts you should try them in oatmeal cookies.  They add a great taste to a regular cookie.
These are super delicious fresh, hot and just out of the oven.  With the cooler temperatures approaching and fall is on its way, these cinnamon glazed nuts would be perfect to enjoy on a crisp, cool autumn night.  

Don't forget to enter my current giveaways:





4 comments:

FrugalMom said...

They sound great, and they sure look good.

FrugalMom from Frugality Is Free

smartmomj[@]gmail[.]com

FIREFLYER said...

What a great story and so similar to ours! Find our Nutty Bavarian at www.nuttybavarian.ca and check us out on Facebook!
Thanks so much for sharing & sharing our Nutty excitant!
The Nutty Bavarians Canada!
Mark and Tracey Toffner
Nuts@nuttybavarian.ca

FIREFLYER said...

What a great story and so similar to ours! Find our Nutty Bavarian at www.nuttybavarian.ca and check us out on Facebook!
Thanks so much for sharing & sharing our Nutty excitant!
The Nutty Bavarians Canada!
Mark and Tracey Toffner
Nuts@nuttybavarian.ca

Michael said...

Actually, you've added more ingredients than is necessary. All you need is water, nuts, cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla extract. See here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/bavarian-nuts/1273.html